You must have heard of cholesterol quite a lot, what cholesterol is and how it can be controlled.
Cholesterol is a fat-like substance that is produced by the liver to help form cell membranes and vitamin D. Cholesterol is produced by the liver and it is also consumed in foods.
There are 2 types of cholesterol;
• Low Density Lipoproteins: these are also known as bad cholesterols. Too much LDL in your body can lead to serious health problems like stroke or heart attack.
• High Density Lipoproteins: these are also known as good cholesterols. They typically have no effect on your health and body system. HDL lowers your risk of having heart attacks and strokes by preventing cholesterol build-up in your arteries.
Causes Of High Cholesterol
High cholesterol is caused by having foods that contain saturated fat and trans fat. Obesity is another factor that causes high cholesterol. High cholesterol can also be as a result of health conditions like hypothyroidism, kidney diseases, diabetes and pregnancy.
Unlike other health conditions, high cholesterol does not show any symptoms and in most cases it only becomes known when it causes severe complications like stroke. You can also go for cholesterol screening to check your cholesterol levels.
High Cholesterol Foods You Should Avoid;
1. Ice cream
3. Hot dogs and sausages
4. Red meat
5. Egg yolk
6. Junk foods like pizza and hamburgers
Foods You Can Eat To Lower Your Cholesterol Levels;
4. Dark chocolate
5. Green tea
8. Groundnuts, almonds and other types of nuts
What Can You Do To Lower Your Cholesterol Levels Naturally?
1. Eat foods that are rich in fiber
2. Exercise regularly
3. Reduce your intake of fried foods
4. Go for regular medical checkup
5. Eat more fruits and vegetables
6. Avoid eating red meat
7. Read labels of your food and avoid eating or buying anything that contains trans fat.
8. Avoid smoking
9. Drink Alcohol moderately
Please like and share this article with others who might find it helpful.